Poor surface drainage is a persistent problem for architects and builders. Property owners know that prolonged water exposure (or “ponding”) can result in property damage. While traditional stepdown doorways merely repel water from indoor surfaces, a quality threshold drain acts as both barrier and active water conduit, providing superior drainage around the doorsill area. So could threshold offer the best solution for your unique drainage fit-out?
These Three Key Benefits and Considerations will help guide you in making the right decision.
1. Equitable Access Design.
The threshold’s ingenious level-plane design overcomes a major obstacle for universal doorway access: step-barrier water containment. By integrating drains into the door-track, threshold provides an unbroken path between internal and external surfaces, allowing uninhibited movement between the doorway.
2. Is Your Threshold Waterproof Compliant?
Due to its proximity to indoor areas, any breach of the sub- sill could see water penetrate wall and floor finishes, causing extensive damage to moisture-sensitive materials and structural foundations.4
It is therefore imperative that your threshold solution can guarantee adequate waterproofing as well as structural integrity. To ensure you meet the highest standards of Australia’s Waterproofing code, make certain your threshold drain
- is manufactured with 316 marine grade (corrosion- resistant) stainless steel that withstands high water flows, harsh chemicals and suspended solids;
- can resist shrinkage and expansion of substrate materials, framing and finishes, and temperature variations from -5°C to +50°C;
- your substrate area is supported by waterproof membranes that meet strict requirements of AS/NZS 4858 (Wet Area Membranes).
3. ‘Bring the Outdoors in’: Threshold as a Style Choice
The increasing popularity of open-plan living is dissolving the traditional barriers between indoor and outdoor spaces. In the push to harmonise these once discrete environments, designers must find creative ways to integrate practical building elements seamlessly into the design fabric
Threshold’s narrow-profile stainless steel design marries the traditional with the contemporary, and is versatile enough to meet any doorway shape.